Rise Against Hunger is committed to ending hunger around the world by 2030. Our 2018 Public Policy Agenda represents our efforts to advance toward this goal through advocacy. Our public policy priorities include:
- Creating access to early childhood nutrition for all
- Establishing sustainable food production systems & resilient agricultural practices
- Securing adequate resources for food security around the world
Right now, we have the opportunity to take action on a piece of legislation that touches on all three of these priorities: the reauthorization of the Global Food Security Act.
- Resulted in a government wide global food security strategy
- Helped to strengthen the effectiveness of the U.S. government’s Feed the Future initiative
- Reinvigorated a global commitment to help people feed and nourish themselves.
The GFSA goes hand-in-hand with our efforts to end hunger, and prioritizes:
- Increasing the productivity, incomes and livelihoods of small-scale farmers
- Building resistance to food shocks among vulnerable populations
- Creating an environment for agricultural growth and investment
Improving the nutritional status of women and children.
The bill emphasizes transparency and accountability of U.S. government programs.
The reauthorization of this bill would allow the U.S. build on the program successes of the Feed the Future initiative and the comprehensive global food security strategy while, importantly, allowing the U.S. government to recommit to building the political will needed to end global hunger.
The GFSA enjoyed wide bipartisan support when it was passed in 2016. We are hoping to gain the same kind of support for the reauthorization of this important bill. Right now, we are working to add co-sponsors to the bill in the House of Representatives and you can help.
Here are some simple steps you can take on the Global Food Security Reauthorization Act of 2018 (H.R. 5129):
- Find your representative
- Check to see if your representative is already a cosponsor of the GFSA
- If YES, your representative is already a co-sponsor, take a minute to thank them for cosponsoring the Global Food Security Act. This can be a phone call, an email or a social media post.
- If NO, your representative is not already a cosponsor, please call, email or write them and request that they cosponsor H.R. 5129 the Global Food Security Reauthorization Act. Need some help getting started? Check out our Five Easy Steps for Contacting Your Elected Officials!
Thank you for taking action! Together, we can urge our political leaders to make ending global hunger a priority.
To learn more about Rise Against Hunger’s Advocacy efforts, sign up to be a Hunger Champion and join us as we raise our voices to end hunger.